Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Coming Back

A quick post just to document two mini-'triathlon's and a couple 5ks I did (it's the OCD in me, what can I say).  First, though, I should say that it is by the generosity of good people and friends that this poor girl has been able to continue doing what she loves to do (race!!) during a time of an extremely tight budget.  I was fortunate enough to receive entries to both the Brain Power 5k and the Heal Yeah 5k.  Those along with the $10 minis kept me entertained between the most recent big things (Chattanooga Mountains Stage Race to the Livestrong Ride).

I won't say much, but I will say that the mini-triathlons (300 yd pool swim, 2 mile bike ride and 1 mile run - no, you ready that right - they're that short) are a lot of fun, super cheap and a good time for anyone who wants a taste of triathlon, is under the age or 12 or wants to practice transitions.  I fall into the first group, and it was a great way to get an idea of what transitions are like and what it's like to race from one sport to another, one after the other.  They were super laid-back, casual events, and to top it off, only $10 each.  You can't beat that.

The 5ks were a bit of a test after a summer of backing off of running in an attempt to edge off a couple of injuries before they came on full-strength.  Ever since Chattanooga, I had some inflammation in my right ankle and a weird thing going on in my left arch.  My feet are my problem area, probably always will be, but I've done a fair bit of PT at Sports Performance (love Pieter!!  He's the best!) and that has helped, plus putting orthotics in my shoes too.  I know, I know.  A year ago, I would have scoffed at the idea, but the better part of a year of pain will change your perspective on things, and they help, so I'm using them.  I've been told they may not have to be permanent shoe accessories, so we'll see what the ol' hooves say in a few months and re-evaluate.

Anyway, back to the 5ks.  Besides losing speed from not running, I lost a lot of confidence that I could go 'fast' like I used to.  These two 5ks were an entry back into a regular running routine and a jumping off point back into regular training.  I certainly did not run my fastest times (23:15 and 23:20 respectively, slower by about 2:30 from last year), but they were fun, and I won my age group at both, which was nice.  More importantly, both were for good causes.  A good proportion of my running group ran the Brain Power 5k as one of our members, and a good friend of mine, has been affected by brain cancer.  It was fun to have our whole crew there and to see one after the other Ship of Fools members and other Team Scarecrows members take home overall and age group awards.  The race director is also a friend, and she put on a great race that day.  The second was for a charity called CTC (Comfort the Children), which builds medical facilities in Kenya where the people don't have access to basic medical treatment.  The race director is another running group member, and he put on a great race too.

Even though my times were not PRs, I got to have that racing high, and as I mentioned above, all through the generosity of friends, and all events were made more special by getting to share them with these and other friends as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment